Wednesday, February 6, 2008

CI Factory

I tried to get CI Factory to work on my project, but I found some problems...

To help setup me project, I followed this very nice show on dnrTV by Scott Hanselman and Jay Flowers.

Problems encountered:
  • Using VSS and not having my project on the root of the source control
  • Not using WinRAR
For the first problem, I had to hack into Properties.xml and SourceControl.Target.xml under Packages/VisualSourceSafe folder to add a new properties with the full path under VSS.

For the second problem, I hacked into a lot of files to replace WinRAR with 7Zip. As 7Zip has a peculiar way to create SFX files, I had to create 3 batch files to help 7Zip do the task.

After a lot of testing, the project finally build!

But when I say "the project", I should have said "the project skeleton". Without my source code, I'm already worth almost 30MB on disk... no code, only build scripts and support tools. And only Simian!

Problems:
  • you get lots of trash on your source control (build scripts is one thing but the binaries of nAnt, Simian, etc, is a bit overkill)
  • the project structure looks a little messy
  • you have one CCNet server for every project
  • you have lots os replicated things across projects
I decided to quit CI Factory. I think it is too complicated to maintain. There are loads of third party tools to watch out, and you have to change a lot if you already have some projects going.

In a future post, I'll write about our CCNet.

PS: if you want to see the changes I made to CI Factory, drop me a line.


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take issue with your use of the words "problems", "trash", "messy", and "complicated to maintain". Do you mean you don't understand? I don't recall seeing you asking questions about these things on the CI Factory user group. I don't remember you emailing me about it either. Do you really grok what it is doing and why? If you are going to make statements like you have please back them up with an explanation. At the moment all you have really left with with is to say: you are wrong and you don't know what you are talking about.
How is what you have written about CI Factory's "problems" here helpful to someone evaluating CI Factory?