Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My experience with WM6

After a month using a windows mobile device, here are my first impressions:

Pros:
  • Good screen, very bright, can read it even in sunlight
  • New applications I didn't have in palm
  • HTC interface, you can dial your favorite contacts very fast
  • All in one: GSM, GPS, WIFI, 3G
  • small and lightweight


Cons:
  • Slow, very slow interface compared to my T5
  • When I disconnect the device, the app that was running goes to the background
  • Clumsy windows interface - to lauch an aplication I have to tap on the screen lots of times
  • Some itches - calls dropping frequently, system freezes sometimes
  • Missing some apps I had in palm
  • To send an SMS, I have to tap 4 times on the screen, just to start writing... and this is because I have the SMS app to launch on pressing the GPS button... the guys at HTC forgot this is still a mobile phone, and sometimes you want to text someone...

Overall, I'm happy with my Touch Cruise. As soon as I install VS2008, I'll try to do some useful things, like porting some apps I really got used to. And yes, you still have more useful apps in PalmOS than Windows Mobile.
Here is a little table with the apps I used in PalmOS and the apps that I'm using in WM6:
PalmOSWM6Comment
HandyShopperHandyShopperThat was easy. Someone had the excellent work of porting it to WM
Aqua Dive Log
-
Still couldn't find an app to replace it :-(
pFuel
- (excel)
Still couldn't find an app... I'll probably have to create an Excel sheet
PunchClockPro
-
This one I REALLY miss... does anyone know a decent timekeeping app?
cotoGPS
-
Still need something to trace my routes...
Progect
ADBIdea
It is not a great replacement, but does the job
Keyring
KeePassPPC
Great Upgrade
FreeCoins
Pocket Finance Diary Lite
Looks promising
Filez
Total Commander
very decent

But what I really don't like is Windows Mobile interface... why the hell the guys at Redmond still think a Windows-like interface is good in an hand-held device??? IT IS NOT!!!
If I want to run any application, I have to click Start, then Programs, then scroll searching for the app... and why the heck is copy/paste dependent on the application? We should have it everywhere... It is a pain inputing some text that you want to copy, just to find out you can't... and I have to find some software to use strokes, something they also forgot... and if I'm using an app, if the devices disconects after a minute or whatever you configure, when you connect it again you want the same display, get it?
I hope they finally abandon the stupid windows interface and create a new one in WM7. HTC Cube helps, but it is not enough.

Feel free to give me pointers to other useful software.

No comments: