Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'll have a Moka5, with one lump of sugar

Virtualization is on the rise. Heck, I have clients with complete production environments all virtualized.
It's all very cool, but if you want graphics, forget it. As I don't have a Mac, my solutions are VMWare or Virtual PC or QEmu (I still have to try VMGL).
Enter Moka5. It is a virtualization engine based on VMWare. It promises DirectX and OS X emulation. And it runs on a USB stick...
Looks promising on paper, but because I have VMWare Server installed on my laptop, it cannot start LivePCs...

Let's see if I can get it to work at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what exactly is moka5 (and virtualization in general) good for? I think what I really asking is would it be used for practical (business/professional) purposes, or simply for the average tech-savvy person. The ability to run so many operating systems seems a bit unnecessary for the everyday computer user...

paipo said...

I know of big corporations that use virtualization on their production environment. And on my last job, all of our development environment was virtual. You gain a lot in disaster recovery (if your hardware crashes, you copy the files to another hardware and are back online in a snap), resource utilization (instead of having 10 servers, you can have 1) , etc...